You sit behind the wheel, put the key in the ignition, turn it and the engine starts, just like that.
We tend to take that for granted, but there are a lot of things that have to happen for that to work:
- The battery has to be able to hold and deliver a charge
- The alternator has to deliver a charge back into the battery again, as well as powering the lights, radio, ignition and everything else while the engine is running
- The serpentine belt has to drive the alternator
- The battery has to be able to send amperage to the starter via heavy cables, and the starter has to turn the engine over quickly enough to get it running
- The engine’s ignition system has to be able to provide spark to the cylinders to start the engine
At Free Service Tire Company, electrical service is just part of the auto repair and maintenance services we offer. That includes battery maintenance and other preventive maintenance, and we also stock a great selection of batteries for all kinds of vehicles. If you’re noticing that the battery is turning the engine over more slowly, the headlights dim when the engine speed slows or any other sign of potential electrical problems, don’t hesitate – make an appointment with us at Free Service Tire Company. It’s better than waiting until you’re stuck in a parking lot somewhere waiting for a jump-start to get you going again!